Saturday, August 1, 2009

A new thought...

I just thought of this during my Journalism II class later yesterday (Friday) evening. Our lecturer was talking about PPSMI, which is Science and Mathematics in English, and the fact that the rule was to be implemented in 2012, that everything will be reverted back to the format it once was, which is: teaching Science and Maths in own mother-tongue during primary, and teaching it in BM in secondary.

So, the question that came to my mind: WHY 2012???

Just so you know, that is ALSO the year for the next general election. Coincidence? I beg to differ.

So much for the lame excuse of needing time to revert it back to BM, I have a hunch that there's another reason behind it, and this is a word I'm bored of using (blek): POLITICS. There can be no other reason besides this. My hunch is they CHOOSE to implement this rule THEN so that they can gain back the votes of the people.

Well, using THIS for political reasons? Wao, that's a big risk to take. You're spoiling the future of Malaysia for your own egoistic purpose, just so you know. But heck, it's NOT.LIKE.YOU.CARE.

~Do you care about the future of Malaysia? NO.
~Do you care about the fact that Malaysians are not learning English well? NO.
~Do you care about the fact also, that students will be EVENTUALLY learning things in English when they go to universities or colleges a.k.a struggling to learn? NO
~Do you care to accept that BM is NOT an INTERNATIONALLY USED language? NO

All you think of is getting your votes back, or at least, the confidence of the rakyat in you. Is that what Malaysia really want?

And guess what's the best part?

Both parties are in support of the SAME.DAMN.THING. Anwar(Opposition) supports it, and the government(Barisan Nasional) OBVIOUSLY supports it, otherwise they wouldn't implement the rule.

Mind you, I'm eligible to vote by then, and if this is the real cause, man... I don't know who to vote for. Can't I not vote? No I can't. But who to vote?

Ahh crap, this is a question that only needs to be answered 3 years later. For the moment, let's enjoy the show, and see what happens within the next 3 years.

With that, I rest my case.

-eNd-

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't get enlightened about the relationship between 2012 implementation and the vote.
It may be well justified that a policy takes time to take effect. As it comest to the education issue, instant implementation may cause even more harm than good that we can expect. Teacher takes time to change, student is told beforehand that such policy will be adopted in future. Well if I'm not wrong you and I are the last batch for BM in science+math. Should feel glad about it=)