Friday, February 19, 2010

Urgh.. Complain complain complain.

Hehe. Just read a super big complain from one of my friend's blog, and he was SUPER-PISSED with UTAR, complaining about empty car spaces, walking for distance to classes, and having classes in other blocks just because of a final examination for other students. Well, here's my take on all these things.

I'll only go for the UTAR parking lot though, 'cause I don't want to discuss about the "walking for distance to classes", and as for having exams in other blocks (instead of block B), I think that answer is a little too simple. =)

Here goes.

Scenario A: Indeed, I have to agree with my friend here, that indeed, there IS, a DAMN.LOT.OF.PARKING.SPACES. He's right too, mentioning that carparks are only 1/3 used. The rest is empty. FOR.THE.ENTIRE.DAY. FOR.THE.ENTIRE.WEEK. However, that's only for the block B and block D area.

Scenario B: Moving to bock H, the parking lot there is ALWAYS.FULL. I had friends who had to go at 8a.m in the morning JUST to ensure that they can find a parking, and the moment they move their car away, it will IMMEDIATELY be taken by another car, and if you're lucky when you come back, there will be a space. Otherwise, park somewhere else. And judging from what I saw, the parking space at block H is S.M.A.L.L.

Comparing both these scenarios, one might ask why is one side half empty, and why is one side fully parked always. I don't really know the answer, but this is the rational I came up with:

Our ownership of a parking sticker comes through a balloting system. Each student will apply their own car sticker, but every student will come under a certain faculty, and as far as I know, there are 5 faculties. So under every faculty, there's a limit to a certain amount of students that can own parking stickers.

So here's the catch: As far as I know, FBF contains the MOST AMOUNT OF STUDENTS. I heard once that a lecture classes contained of up 200-300 plus of students at one go. Fancy that. So with that, imagine half of the current 11000 students in UTAR right now (or so I heard it was 11000), and out of the half, only half can get it. Say out of 25oo students, 2000 of them own cars, and 500 others owns a motorbikes. With the parking space so small, it's not possible to fit everyone, hence being so full.

On the other hand, say the other half of the 11000 students are the rest of the four faculties (reminder: excluding FBF), and each faculty is relatively small (or that's as far as I'm concern), so with that small amount, hence smaller chances of getting the parking sticker. I myself had been a victim of not getting the sticker for 3 semesters, before finally getting it this semester.

Adding this one other fact: before block, F, G, H, I and J was built, every faculty was using block B, D and E. However, now since it's built, all the cars belonging to FBF students would probably had went to block H, I and J's parking lot. The only problem is: I and J's parking lot is a little too far downhill, and it's also limited too, so yeah.

So once everyone moves, hence the empty parking spaces in block B and D's parking lot.

So here's my question: Why not give more parking stickers to the other four faculties? Before I continute, let me say that I'm not biased over the fact that FBF shouldn't have more. They can have more too, but considering the way UTAR constructed the buildings and it's parking lots, which again, I'll emphasise, it's S.M.A.L.L, perhaps it's a case of too bad then, unless UTAR can find a way to expand the parking lot, which, judging by the way it is now, I don't think so.

Not only the four faculties, one also has to remember the foundation students. Alright, maybe it's because they are on a semester break now, that's why it LOOKS empty. But heck, even when they are back, it's still the same.

My 2nd take: Why not build a bigger parking lot for block F, G, H, I and J? I mean, having already known the fact that FBF contains a lot of students, and putting ALL their classes there (block H), why not "edit" your blueprint and try to reconstruct it better? Don't give me the "money issue" crap; UTAR's rich. And I mean, DAMN.RICH. I wouldn't bother going into details though.

The worst part is: seeing hundreds of cars parking outside UTAR. I see those cars everyday, parking under the hot sun, having to run all the way to their cars when it rains. I know how it feels like, 'cause I once was a victim too.

Not only that, they risk their cars being banged into, and I remember once there was a notice saying "Park at your own risk. Heavy vehicles moving in and out." Wao. So much for "UTAR: My Choice."

Not that the bus service is any good either, though I've never been a victim of THAT.

Perhaps I should be thankful I've got only a year plus left to my studies? Hmm...

~eNd~

No comments: