Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How is this even possible?

"A pass in English has never been compulsory in SPM."

Retrieved from The Star Online, 10th June 2009

Now I know why. Why the level of English is so poor in Malaysia.

To those who do not have good command in English, please forgive me. I'm not condemming you here.

However, how can this be even made possible?! How can English not be made a "must pass" subject? And yet the Government wants people to pass BM at least. This is UTTER CRAP.

And our Deputy Prime Minister, who is also the Education Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, was suprised about this, and wants public view of this matter. I want to quote my friend here: "Is there any need to ask the public anymore?"

The obvious answer is a big NO. No question about it. There's no need to ask the public for their views. Please DPM, if you are sharing our PM's passion of being the people's PM, then for this case you are making a big mistake. English IS a must pass subject. How is it possible that you make an internationally used language a not necessary "must pass" paper, yet you want a language only used here in Malaysia a "must pass"? It so doesn't make sense.

And guess what? After asking the public's view, many are against making this paper a "must pass subject". Like what Dr. Mahathir said, not making English a "must pass" subject will spoil the future of Malaysians. And it is so true. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you the importance of English.

Please, if you are going to make BM SO important, I suggest you put more importance to English for crying out loud! Imagine this: Someone does not pass his English paper, but wants to go overseas. Do you think that person will be even qualified to do so? Forget about dreams of going to places like UK or America, not even Australia or New Zealand will want that student. Why? Because he failed his English. Simple.

To whoEVER made this damn rule, TWO.SIMPLE.WORDS.

























COMMON.SENSE

-eNd-

5 comments:

Unknown said...

it's quite true, and unreasonable.
my English is flagged as poor among my classmates back to my secondary school life. I worked hard and did some exam-oriented effort just to get an A for that.
Mastering English is cool, that's what I feel. But I'd met some of my friends not good in language but excel in theories. Perhaps we own the talents while they are not. Isn't this unfair?
Btw both of us passed the SPM level xD

Chew Shu Yi, Shirley said...

Aww that is seriously unfair. Suddenly BM is darn important. Maybe we should just talk to the whiteys in BM and tell them its a must pass subject and i failed my English and see how it goes ya? Malaysia Boleh ma right?

GeneGoh said...

To Alex: I have to agree with you about those who are good in theory and not good pratically, cz my course is full of people like that. I don't think it's about talent: you don't need talent to speak English. It's down to the way they were taught English when they were young. I'm sure Chinese-educated people can speak fluent English as well, cz I know of some. ;)

GeneGoh said...

To Shu Yi: I like that idead. Try telling those people and see what they make of it. I'll bet they wouldn't send their kids to schools in Malaysia, however famous they are. Lolx

Chew Shu Yi, Shirley said...

My point exactly!!