Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Chapter 1 of Sarawak Mission Trip ( Day 1, 18th May)

Finally! After the two months of preparation, the day has finally come for us to depart to a state with many different cultures and races. It was going to be a full-day-travel, but still, destination: Debak. =)

I woke up at 7 that morning, finalised my packing, and set off to the Yoyo Bus Station in Bercham. When I reached there, I thought I missed the bus, 'cause there was NOBODY from the team there (or at least I thought there was nobody =P). Little did I realise that Doreen was already inside.

The rest arrived later, and Uncle Kelvin Chew prayed for us before we left.

8.22 a.m.

We went up this bus that had a little different design, as the entrance to go up is not at the usual front, but at the middle. Upon going up, one has to turn left to climb up the stairs of the bus, and from there, one turns left or right depending on the seating. Feels kind of special. ^^ It took us another 20 minutes of waiting while the bus was slowly being filled with more people and luggages.

And we're off. 8.40 a.m

All of us settled down in the bus quickly, excited yet anxious about what is to come ahead. I was seated next to Daniel, and he already took pictures with his new birthday-gifted camera.

Haha. Quoting him, "The only two guys in this trip."
Two GG fellas. =P

Couldn't really sleep much during that time, 'cause the bus played a movie called "The Little Big Soldier", staring Jacky Chan and Wang LeeHom. Although the movie was rated "ok", that man sitting besides me made almost every part of the movie funny, and I think we laughed the loudest in the bus. =P That however was only the first reason. After the movie ended, I decided to try sleeping again. Not till I heard a baby crying behind.

10.45 a.m

There were two old ladies trying to calm the baby down, one, I presume, is the mother, while the other might be a friend or relative. Either way, they tried very hard to make the baby go to sleep. The mother went, "lai lai lai lai... (Chinese)" every now and then, which in English means "Come come come come...". However, the baby went on crying.

11.10 a.m

I was trying my very best to sleep, but I remember reading something from my notes during the exam, that audio intelligent people are VERY sensitive to sounds around them. And there I was, taking in every single cry from the baby, while the mother went on going "lai lai lai lai...". Daniel said it felt as if she was speaking in tongues. XD

11.30 a.m

You wouldn't believe it. THE.BABY.WAS.STILL.CRYING. By that time, I was getting a little frustrated, but I didn't really showed it. All of us joked about how are we going to take care of our own baby next time, and PC even joking asked KL to go and handle the baby. Lolx. After another 5 mintues, finally there was peace. Finally. I could get a little rest. But before I knew it, we reached LCCT.

12.10 p.m

We took our luggage from the bus. Our flight was at 1.50pm, but as most of you might know (or FYI), one has to be there an hour earlier before the flight. We checked in our respective luggage, and with everyone cleared, we went ahead with our lunch. I bought McD, as I haven't tasted it for a long time, and wao, the service there was fast! Despite the place being very crowded, I still managed to get my food in less than 5 minutes. Wonder how fast Pizza Hut can be in that place. XD

The rest of the team joined me later, me having a hunch that either they don't really know what to eat, or they just want to grab something, "familiar". All of us ate our respective meals, and off to the custom service we go.


The team in full (L-R, sitting): Yours truly, PeiLee, Doreen, Irena, PC
(L-R, Standing): KL, OiKam, Joyce, EeChiet, Patty and Daniel

It was my first time going through the custom. Heck, it was my first time in an airport anyways. So, being a newbie, I didn't really know what to do before going through the customs, so me and Daniel got a bit left behind as we acted like noobs trying to take out our phones and wallets from our pants. We joined the team in a while. We waited in the terminal for 20 minutes, and at 1.30, we were called to board the place.


1.35 p.m

It was my first time boarding a plane in the 20 years of my life, and I've never felt so excited. We board AirAsia FYI, and it's kinda nice, though I've not board planes like MAS before, so there is no conparison to make. I sat at the same row as Daniel and Irena, as assigned to us, and a good friend of mine "advised" me to sit at the seat closest to the window. I chose that, and after all of us settled in, we were ready for take off!

(The following is the experience I got while on my very first flight)


The only 3 students boarding the plane to Sarawak. Apparently, the one in blue has Sarawakian blood in her too. =D
There's only one word that fits: INDESCRIBABLE! As it was my first time, all the nausea and headache didn't really bother me much. The plane slowly made its way towards the lane where all planes took off, and when it did... Woohoo!!!! That was perhaps the fastest vehicle I ever travelled in, and as it took off, I felt myself being lifted up. At last. I'm (in/at/on?) the sky! =D

As the plane slowly stabilized itself, I realised why my friend asked me to sit near the window. The view was AWESOME! I managed to see the distance between the clouds and the ground. I saw how tiny everything was from a few thousand feet. And ohh, did I forget to mention, I was sitting next to the wing as well, and the wing moved, the plane turned as w ell. Cool eh? =P

The right wing of the air-plane...

This is Kuala Lumpur... I think XD

Then I saw this other thing: there was a second layer of clouds. Perhaps I might have studied that during secondary but forgotten, but it really never crossed my mind that there was a second layer of clouds. Really, only God could create such things, and as quoted by Irena: "Who else would think of that?" So true.

2.20 p.m Leaving Semenanjung Take 1

Leaving Semenanjung Take 2
Is this South China Sea? I don't know... XD

We were out of Semenanjung Malaysia, and towards the sea after flying over Singapore. Man, watching the sea from above is a totally different view altogether. You've just got to praise God for all His creation, 'cause really, there's no one who can create all these. It was then Daniel decided to come up with this joke.

"Eh, you see all those clouds ah, reminds me of the World War II days you know. The planes drop all the bombs, and the people from the ground shooting the planes (r eferring to the dispensing of the clouds that looks like shots from the defending soldiers). Ah. Can see right? Ahh.. Those were the days."

The clouds that looked like explosions...

If you get the joke.

I literally laughed my ass off, not only because it was a "zZz" joke, but because of the way he put it. It was too hillarious that I couldn't help myself, and tears came out of my eyes. Ohh goodness me...

At that time, the captain and pilot of the plane gave us a short announcement about certain details of the plane, and he told us that we were travelling at 840 km/h, and 37,000 feet above sea level. I was like, "wooo..." Managed to nap for half an hour, and when I woke up, we were already reaching Kuching International Airport.

Upon reaching Sarawak. What the river.. lolx

Or at least I thought we were, till I realise that we're actually some 15 minutes away. The pilot will usually ask his passengers to put on and tighten their seatbelts. As we did that, I felt great pain on the left side of my brain. It felt like super great rush of the blood running through my veins. I literally had to close my eyes and hold on to that side of the brain that hurts, though I tried to stay calm. Heh.

It came to a point where the plane had to turn and slowly dive into the lane, and when it did, we felt a little tud, meaning that the plane has touched down. After the plane has come to a complete halt, we took our stuff, and managed to shake hands with the pilot and one of the air-stewardess.

We have reached Sarawak.

Down the plane we went, and up the terminal we go. We had to collect some kind of immigration ticket in order to pass, and after that we went and collect our luggage. Pastor Daniel was there to meet us, and we went up two vans that Pastor Daniel booked for us to travel on. It'ls kind of like, vans for visitors, the kind that takes you were you want or need to go.

4.15 p.m

The first thing we did after touch down was - SHOPPING!! Well, we kind of had to, 'cause one of the dress-codes for a specific night requires wearing a Sarawak t-shirt, hence the shopping. Got myself a navvy-blue t-shirt, while buying a small bag too, so that it's easy to carry my phones around, instead of having to put it in the pocket of my pants.

The next thing we did was - EAT! Apparently that will be our dinner already as the trip to Debak will be 5 hours, so we had to eat first in case we go hungry later. We ate the famous Sarawakian "kolo mee", which is kind of like, dried-noodles with a bit of pork/char-siew, and a few of us tried the Sarawakian laksa. The food was nice, though little did we know that was the first nice meal of many.

5 p.m

I have to say, the sky in Sarawak is MAGNIFICENT. It was so beautiful and clear. Anyways, we we started off to Debak at about 5 plus, and while we were on the way, we saw a beautiful rainbow (as it was raining). It was as if God was saying, "I am, and will be with you all."

What an assurance. =)

The journey was a tiring one, as we have been travelling the entire day. And to make things worse, the road all the way wasn't that well made either. It was bumpy throughout. I was surprised I managed to nap though. Anyways, we stopped at a rest area, and I had a burger, half a packet of biscuits, and a cup of teh-tarik.

Big mistake. 9.30 p.m

From then on, as the journey continued, I.SO.WANTED.TO.PUKE. The manner in which the driver was driving in made me sick, and I kind of wished I could tell the driver to slow down, but the driver looked like he wanted to catch up with the driver in front, who was going faster.

Daniel : "I know why the driver in front drive so fast d."

All : "Why?"

Daniel : "Cause his name is Stanley."

Yet another Daniel classic. If you get the joke that is.

Anyways, I held on to my seat, not wanting to puke. I said, "God no matter what happens, I'm going to believe that You will help me not to puke." I know what is like to do so, and it's not going to be nice. Yet at the same time, to suffer all the way, or to let it go now, and be relieved earlier? The latter sounded more comforting, though it comes with a cost. But so does the first. With that, I was battling it in my mind, and before I knew it, we reached the church in Debak.

Praise God!!!!!! 11 p.m

The church was called Hallelujah Baptist Chapel, pastored by Pastor Liang, whose family also stays there. It's like a small motel, and we were immediately served with delicious food, cooked by Pastor Liang's wife. Although I did not get to taste it as I was still recovering from the journey sickness, others gave two thumbs up. So yeah, good and tasty food.

We then went into our rooms. The girls were to sleep outside, as their room is a little too small for 9 people. Yours truly and Letterman-in-the-making got the chance to sleep in another room, though it was actually better to sleep outside, as it rained before this, hence leading to cool weather.

We unpack, some bathed, and all of us washed up and prepared for a super good night rest after a full-day travel. All of us were excited, as we know that this is only the beginning...

Ps: Photos will be uploaded soon, but I currently just want to get this done, so yeah. Patient. =)

No comments: